Connected Home Buyer's Guide
Whether you’re thousands of miles from home or just at the far end of the house, connected home technology can help you keep tabs on your most prized possessions.Learn More
- Is your smoke alarm outdated? Looking to monitor your home for smoke or carbon monoxide leaks and be proactively notified in the event of an emergency?
- Try Nest Protect™ Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm for alerts sent straight to your smartphone or tablet when your alarm senses smoke or carbon monoxide.
- See, hear and record what's going on in your home with Wi-Fi connected security cameras. Monitor the baby sleeping in the next room, keep tabs on a service person entering your home while you’re away, or play back video to see where a break-in or fire occurred.
- Try Nest Cam™ Indoor security camera for its two way talk and listen features and continuously recorded live video.
- Try the Hive View, Hive's stylish new security camera packed with must-have features like HD live-streaming and person detection.
- Are you trying to easily save energy while you’re away from home, but want to return to a comfortable temperature setting?
- Try the 3rd gen Nest Learning Thermostat™, ecobee4 (now with Amazon Alexa Voice Service), Nest Thermostat E or ecobee3 Lite for automated energy savings. These smart thermostats learn your schedule so you don’t have to change the temperature to an energy-efficient setting before you leave for the day. And, you’ll return home to a comfortable temperature.
- Interested in the Wi-Fi capability of the Nest and ecobee thermostats, but don’t need all the bells and whistles?
- Try the LUX/GEO thermostat for a simpler, more affordable option. It’s easy to install and program and it uses your smartphone’s location through the app to tell whether you are home or not and optimizes your energy savings while you’re away.
- Try the ecbooe3 lite or the Nest Thermostat E for new, more affordable options from Nest and ecobee.
- Have a ecobee thermostat, but looking for more control over the temperature of individual rooms in your home?
- Try the ecobee Room Sensor, which monitors the temperature of the most important rooms in your home – so you can let your ecobee thermostat know which room should be a certain temperature at a certain time of day.
Wi-Fi- and Bluetooth-enabled lighting gives you convenience while letting your artistic side shine. Choose from an array of lighting colors, hues or textures and sync your wireless LEDs to other products for increased security.Learn More
- Want to program your lighting from your smartphone to set the mood for when you return from home, watch a movie or take a nap?
- Try Philips Hue – Sync your lighting hue and temperature to match your mood, and connect to other home products to have more control, comfort and security in your home.
- Ready to control the sound and light of the dance party from your smart device?
- Try the Sengled® Pulse LED and Speaker Bulb for a 2-in-1 integrated sound and light LED system, powered by Bluetooth.
- Looking for a way to seamlessly turn off, on and dim your LED lighting from your smartphone?
- Try the Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Dimmer Switch for setup, control and monitoring of Caseta Wireless dimmers that will let you set the mood in any room – all from your smartphone.
- Want to save energy and gain control over the lighting in your home?
- Try the ecobee Switch+, the smarter light switch that automates lighting with occupancy and daylight sensors, and comes with built-in Amazon Alexa.
Home security can be challenging when you’re away and don’t know what’s going on at home. Increase your home’s security and exterior monitoring with just a few simple products, which can prevent or minimize costly damages. Plus, these products can communicate together to even further increase your home security. Never miss a beat.Learn More
- Interested in virtually controlling who accesses your home?
- Coming Soon! Nest x Yale Lock with Nest Connect – the secure, tamper-proof lock from Nest and Yale. With the Nest Connect, you can use the Nest app to unlock the door from anywhere and get alerts on your smartphone.
- Try August Smart Lock – It turns your smartphone into a lock so you no longer have to fumble for your keys. You can monitor who comes and goes, when, and assign keys for a limited time, so you’re always in control of who can access your home.
- Looking for notifications to your phone when someone rings your doorbell while you’re away from home?
- Try August Doorbell Cam – It notifies your smartphone when someone is at your front door and allows you to watch and talk to a visitor at the door to let them know to come on in or come around back.
- Interested in easily monitoring your front door and talking to whoever may be there to increase your home’s security?
- Try Nest Cam Outdoor – security camera to receive alerts when Nest Cam senses movement and listen and talk back to anyone there.
- Want to keep an eye on your home exterior during the day and night?
- Try the Sengled® Snap HD Security Camera LED Floodlight for a combined HD camera and energy-efficient LED bulb. It's perfect for hanging over your garage or entryways.
It's important that your home can support all your electronic gadgets. Make regular devices smart with a smart plug, control multiple devices through a smart hub and ensure strong and consistent connectivity with a mesh Wi-Fi network. Be prepared to geek out.Learn More
- Interested in turning boring, regular electronics into easily-controlled, smart devices?
- Try the iHome Wifi Smart Plug – It turns a regular outlet into a smart outlet. Control devices like fans, lights, heaters and home audio systems. If it's plugged into the iHome Wifi Smart Plug, you can control it.
- Try the ecobee Switch+ – a smart switch that lets you control your lights and devices from your smartphone or your voice, with Amazon Alexa.
- Try the Wemo® Insight Energy Use Monitor. It's a smart plug that lets you control the power from your smartphone and keep a close eye on your energy use from the Wemo app.
- Looking to control all of your smart devices from one source?
- Try Wink Hub 2 – It supports more smart home protocols than most smart hubs and comes with enhanced security features.
- Want the complete package?
- Try the Hive Welcome Home Pack – it gives you everything you need to adjust your cooling, heating and lighting, as well as turn appliances on and off from wherever you are.
- Tired of Wi-Fi dead spots throughout your home?
- Try Google Wifi – it replaces your existing router with single or multiple “points,” creating a Wi-Fi “mesh,” or a single Wi-Fi network, so you always stay seamlessly connected as you move from room to room.
- Want a smart lawn to match your smart home?
- Try the Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller – water your lawn with precision using customized, automated schedules that adapt to the weather.
You've only got two hands, and they're often busy. With these voice-activated devices, you can now change the thermostat temperature, order groceries, get today's weather forecast and much more.Learn More
- Interested in getting voice-activated control from one centralized location?
- Try ecobee4 – it's a smart thermostat with built-in Amazon Alexa Voice Service. With this device, you can do more than change your home temperature settings with your voice. You can ask for traffic conditions, play music through Spotify, tell your Google Chromecast to turn on Netflix and more!
- Try ecobee Switch+, the smarter switch that has built-in Amazon Alexa and high quality speaker. Turn on and off your lights from your smartphone and ask your ecobee Switch+ for the weather, news, music and more.
- Looking for an affordable device that will connect many of your other smart home devices?
- Try Google Home Mini, the voice-activated speaker that is powered by Google Assistant – so you can ask it questions and tell it to do things.
- Do you have multiple users in your home?
- Try Google Home – it's powered by the Google Assistant so you can ask it questions and tell it to do things. And with support for multiple users, it can distinguish your voice from others in your home so you get a more personalized experience. You can buy multiple bases and group them together to expand your control.
Which products work together?
All Nest products are designed to communicate with all other Nest products and can be accessed from one simple and free iOS or Android app called Nest - Your home in your hand. Plus, Nest products can become smarter with time and through interaction with one another.Learn More
When the Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm senses smoke and air quality emergencies, it tells the Nest Thermostat to shut off your heating and cooling system so it does not circulate throughout your home. Nest Protect’s motion sensors also communicate with your thermostat so it knows when you’re home or away, making the thermostat even more efficient.
Hive smart home products are designed to seamlessly work together to connect your home and make daily living easier.Learn More
Each of the Hive Packs comes with a Hive Hub, the heart of your connected home. On the Hive App, you can link up your lights, sensors and plugs so that your home responds to you however you want it to. Check out the Hive Starter Pack to learn how Hive products work together to bring your home to life.
August products also work well in tandem and are all controlled from one free iOS or Android app, August Home.Learn More
When you purchase the August Doorbell Cam, August Smart Lock and August Connect together, you can see who is ringing the doorbell through the August Doorbell Cam and unlock the door for visitors using August Smart Lock on one app. Get remote access to unlock the door for visitors using the August Connect.
Did you know some of the connected home products on the store can connect to other smart home devices? Control your smart home from anywhere using your smartphone or mobile device.Learn More
Control all of your Nest products with your voice if you have Google Assistant, set your Nest app to tell Philips Hue to turn off the lights when you leave, or unlock and lock the August Smart Lock directly from the Honeywell Total Connect app. You can also view your water use on your Nest Home Energy Report when you have a Rachio smart sprinkler system and Nest Thermostat.
There are a number of wireless ecosystems that connect smart home devices. No one standard connects all, so which is right for you?Learn More
|iHome WiFi Smart Plug||Nest Learning Thermostat||Nest Protect||Nest Cam||ecobee4 with Amazon Alexa Voice Service||ecobee3 lite||Honeywell Wi-Fi Color Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat||ecobee Smart Si Wi-Fi Thermostat||August Smart Lock (needs August Smart Bridge)||Philips Hue||Sengled Snap Security Camera||Hive Smart Home Packs||Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge Dimmer Kit||ecobee Switch+||Wemo® Insight Energy Use Monitor|
*Note: The Sengled Pulse bulbs are not included in this chart because they connect to smart devices through Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi. For this reason, this device is not compatible with any of the above protocols.
Now that you know how connected home products can make your home smarter, safer and more convenient, you’re ready to browse our collection.
Still have questions? Contact our knowledgeable customer support team via chat or email.