Renters Buyer's Guide
Efficiency is for Renters, Too
Just because you don't own your home doesn't mean you should write off adopting energy-efficient and connected home devices.
Small changes to your rental can lead to significant savings on your monthly utility bills – plus increase your comfort, convenience and peace of mind.
Many Wi-Fi-controlled thermostats and window AC units are easy to install and remove, making them great options for managing the comfort of your rental, without the hassle of professional installation.Learn More
Are you tired of coming home to a hot, stuffy home? Do you feel wasteful for leaving the air conditioning on when you're not home? Wi-Fi-enabled temperature control can help keep your home comfortable, while also cutting down on heating and cooling costs.
Talk to your landlord about splitting or covering the cost.
- Do you have a window air conditioning unit?
- Try the ThinkEco AC Modlet to turn your existing window AC unit into a Wi-Fi-enabled device. Turn your A/C on and off or change the temperature settings from anywhere with an app on your smartphone.
- Do you have central AC and an existing thermostat?
- Upgrade to a smart thermostat, like the 3rd gen Nest Learning Thermostat™ for home automation, beautiful design and energy efficiency reports. It runs on a battery that's charged by your system's heating and cooling wires.
- If you have multiple rooms that seem to have different temperatures, consider the ecobee4 with built-in Amazon Alexa Voice Service the or the more affordable ecobee3 lite. Both come a with power extender in case you don't have a C-wire in your existing system, but only the ecobee4 comes with room sensors that help your AC sense and compensate for differences in room temperatures.
- Want a Wi-Fi-enabled, thermostat without the bells and whistles (and wires)?
- Compare the battery-operated Emerson Sensi and the LUX/GEO Wi-Fi thermostats.
Whether you live in an apartment, house, condo, or dorm, upgrading to LED lighting is one of the most affordable ways to improve your home’s efficiency and ambiance. From basic, bulbs to Wi-Fi convenience, we’ve got options for every room.Learn More
LED Lighting can improve the look of your current rental and is easy to take along if it outlasts your current home.
- Want to upgrade the bulbs in your everyday fixtures to long-lasting, energy-efficient LEDs?
- Try MaxLite® 9w LED A lamp or Philips A-19 LED – both are equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent and are among our most-affordable and best-selling models.
- Want to program your lighting from your smartphone to set the mood for movie night, nap time or a welcoming arrival at the end of the day?
- Try Philips Hue – Sync your lighting hue and temperature to fit any mood or activity. Connect to other home products for even great control, comfort and security in your home.
Protect your most important possessions with home security products you can control from wherever you are.Learn More
Security devices can help prevent or minimize costly damages to your rental home and belongings. These curated products are easy to install and remove, so you can take them with you when you move.
- Want to virtually control access to your home?
- Try August Smart Lock – It turns your smartphone into a virtual key so you no longer have to fumble for the real ones when your hands are full of groceries. This easy-to-install, battery-powered device can monitor who comes and goes, when, and assign keys for a limited time, so you’re always in control of who can access your home. If you have friends visiting or are sub-letting your home for the weekend, this device is the ultimate convenience.
- Want to keep an eye on people or packages on your front stoop?
- Try August Doorbell Cam – It notifies your smartphone when someone is at your front door and allows you to watch and talk to a visitor at the door. You can wire it into your existing doorbell fixture and replace it with the old one when you leave.
- Wish you could see through walls?
- The Nest Cam™ Indoor – security camera alerts your smart device when it detects activity and lets you talk back through its speaker with the Nest App. Use it to monitor pets or kids or keep an eye out for something amiss in an unoccupied area of your home. Try the Nest Cam™ IQ with 4k video plus facial and audio recognition that can recognize your loved ones but alert you when others are in your home.
- Need to know if there's a potential emergency?
- Try Nest Protect™ Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm for alerts straight to your smartphone or table when it senses smoke or carbon monoxide. Opt for the battery-powered model to make it easier to take with you when you move.
Does your home support all your electronic gadgets with efficiency and ease? Make regular devices smart and ensure strong and consistent connectivity with with connected home devices for every budget.Learn More
- Interested in turning regular electronics into easily-controlled, smart devices?
- Try the iHome Wifi Smart Plug – It turns your regular outlet into a smart outlet. Control devices like fans, lights, heaters and home audio systems with your smartphone. If it's plugged into the iHome Wifi Smart Plug, you can control it.
- Want to control all of your smart devices from a single source?
- Try Wink Hub 2 – It supports more smart home protocols than most smart homes and comes with enhanced security features.
- Tired of Wi-Fi dead spots throughout your home?
- Replace your router with Luma Home Wifi – three little Lumas will work together to blanket your home with stable, fast Wi-Fi in every room.
These low-cost, renter-friendly devices can save a significant amount of energy, helping to reduce your monthly utility bills.Learn More
Talk to your landlord about low-cost investments in advanced power strips and water-saving devices that can help you save energy and money in the long term.
- Do you like to "set it and forget it?"
- Try an advanced power strip – it cuts power to idle appliances that continue to use energy when they’re not in active use. Don't worry if you don't want your fridge, Wi-Fi or other devices to run uninterrupted – these smart strips also come with at least one "always-on" outlet.
- Do you turn on the shower and walk away while it warms?
- Try one of the Evolve ShowerStart devices – they slow your water to a trickle when it reaches a comfortable temperature, helping you save energy by eliminating wasted hot water. When you're ready to jump in the shower, simply pull a tab to release the full flow.
- Do you like taking long, luxurious showers?
- Try on of our Niagara shower heads – they give the feeling of great force while using a maximum of 1.5 gallons of water per minute. This helps cut down on wasteful hot water, minimizing your water and energy bills.
- Do you find it hard to control the flow in your kitchen sink?
- Try one of our Niagara kitchen aerators – they can help regulate the water flow to your liking.
If you're working with a smaller home interior, it's important to accessorize in a way that makes the most of your space.Learn More
These fun devices help reduce clutter and add efficiency and ambiance.
- Ready to control the sound and light of the dance party from your smart device?
- Try the Sengled® Pulse LED and Speaker Bulb for a 2-in-1 integrated sound and light LED system.
- Do you love taking the party outdoors?
- Try the ECOXGEAR SolJam solar powered speaker. If you are looking for bigger sound, try the ECOXGEAR EcoBoulder bluetooth waterproof speaker.